Top 14 Form Usability Tips
2. Placeholder attribute - Just Say NO!!
- Disappearing placeholder text strains users’ short-term memory.
- Without labels, users cannot check their work before submitting a form.
- When error messages occur, people don’t know how to fix the problem.
- Placeholder text that disappears when the cursor is placed in a form field is irritating for users navigating with the keyboard.
- Fields with stuff in them are less noticeable.
- Users may mistake a placeholder for data that was automatically filled in.
- Occasionally users have to delete placeholder text manually.
- Poor contrast! Too DIM to read
- Placeholder doesn't translate to another language
Placeholders in Form Fields Are Harmful - Nielsen Norman Group
Don't use the Placeholder Attribute